Wednesday, May 28, 2008

7 things I've learned about fatherhood in the first month

Parenthood is humbling, as I'm sure many people before me have already learned. You go through more emotional, physical, mental and spiritual trials as a parent than any other endeavor on Earth.

In the short (but seemingly loooooong) 4 weeks of our son's life, I have learned a few things. There was, however, only so much room in my brain, so I had to kick sanity out. In the meantime, here are the top 7 things I've learned from being a father.

7. Fatherhood is the only time where a 3-week-old baby can make you beg for mercy and you're not embarrassed to say so to your friends.
6. I never thought I'd be so happy to see a crap-filled diaper.
5. One look in my son's eyes will make me feel weightless for the rest of the day.
4. I can't figure out which is more beautiful ... my wife or our son.
3. I can't figure out which I'd rather do ... sleep or zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
2. Be careful about picking the correct bottle of milk out of the fridge.
1. I will never, never, never, never go back. Never.