Friday, March 5, 2010

Spreading the love (well, not really)

In an ode to my brothers and sisters in Christ, I pull from Matthew 5:11-12. "Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you."

My wife was shocked at this and emailed the link to me. Seems a Baptist preacher at the Connor Heights Baptist Church (don't worry, I'm not calling out the entire Baptist denomination, just this guy in particular) in Pigeon Forge, TN is distributing pamphlets to anyone who will take them claiming that the Roman Catholic Church is not Christian, and communion comes from the devil.

That church's preacher, Jonathan Hatcher, according to the news report, says the pamphlets are meant to help spread the gospel of Jesus Christ.

Can you feel the love?

I've been to some Catholic services in my time, and can honestly say there is no shortage of praising God and Jesus. It is because of my faith in their boundless love and mercy that I make this statement of fact. Catholics are indeed Christian, and God condemns none of us and loves all people equally. How could He not ... we are His children. But even that is not what puzzles me.

It just seems to me that if you want to bring people closer to God, to teach them to love Jesus, to become a more faithful follower ... you wouldn't use fear as a motivator. The peace and love of Christ is enough to soften even the hardest of human hearts, so spreading that message should be the point of any ministry, not dogging your Christian neighbors. You shouldn't have to proclaim that the fires of hell are bad. Any dickweed knows that.

God wants to have a personal relationship with you. He cares about YOU. As does Jesus, and He really is the way, the truth and the life. They have good things in store for you, so don't shy away from them. That's my testimony. If you'd like to learn more, check out a church where you can grow closer to them. They are around every corner ... except one in Pigeon Forge.

1 comment:

Smitty said...

Hey show some love to all the dickweeds out there! I'm offended!