Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Infomercials and Idiots

We've all seen the late-night infomercials offering weird and obscure products that no self-respecting person should be without, like the Snuggie, the Ab Circle and the Shark Navigator Vacuum Cleaner. More often than not these items end up being coat racks that no self-respecting person should be without, but I digress. Part of me wants to get some friends together and see if we could recreate one of these commercials, complete with bad acting, cheesy voiceovers and, of course, screwy gadgets that you will use about as often as a steel-wool shower backbrush.

I have so many questions regarding these TV spots. Who directs them? Who develops the products that appear in them? How big is the market for said products? How much does it cost to make them and what profit do you clear? If I knew more about that, I might make a go of it myself.

I once had an invention idea for keeping your sheets locked down at night so your spouse couldn't steal the covers. Had the prototype up and everything. Then my dreams were crushed by someone close to me. I haven't been the same since. However, after seeing some of these commercials, I should probably give that person a handshake and hug.

1 comment:

Troy Stauffer said...

Keeps your sheets locked down? Sounds like something that could be implicated in a house fire death.

Also, witness the worst infomercial in the history of humankind: http://gizmodo.com/5366105/this-incredible-windows-7-launch-party-video-is-either-the-best-or-worst-microsoft-ad-this-year